Tuesday, January 13, 2009






Sunday, January 11
Since we had not unpacked the night before, it was difficult to find something to wear quickly! After digging through various suitcases, we managed to have breakfast in the Lido buffet (a bright airy room with large windows) and signed up for fencing classes! Tomorrow at 9AM, I will be attired in my white jacket, helmet and baggy pants and learn how to fence (this is the only ship at sea which offers this option) in the most beautiful Queens Room – a gorgeous ballroom where formal dances are held each night (an entourage of gentlemen hosts are also available).

The 10:00 lecture was on the history of Warner Brothers film studios, complete with silent screen clips and the family history; very interesting to know they immigrated to Baltimore and were first shoe cobblers before moving to Youngstown Ohio and New Castle PA to open their first move house. Exercises filled my afternoon! I did two classes – abs and arms and then the machines – enough to make me sweat and laugh. I even managed to walk back to the room using the steps (as opposed to taking the elevator) and I hope to continue that little bit of exercise.

I met with some of my group in private sessions and the purser’s desk staff have been extremely helpful and the ships’s WHITE STAR SERVICE is evident in all you meet – whether walking down the corridor or being welcomed into the dining room.

After 6PM, the ship has three categories of accepted attire in the public areas; elegant casual, semi-formal dinner and formal. Men should wear a jacket every night and only on the elegant casual night can he be let loose without a tie! Tonight was semi-formal and, honestly, the passengers look grand. It is just like the days of old and I welcome the change from today’s present baggy pants and sweatshirts.

Dinner was wonderful with halibut mousse and giant shrimp, surf and turf and lime crème brulee. Of course, each course had the most enticing description but the tastes were just the same to the girl from Bear, DE.

We were joined by a lively 93-year old women from Melbourne Australia and she had stories to tell; especially about our non-welcoming LA immigration man who really gave her a hard time (she told him shame on him for harassing a 93-year old and I quite agree with her!). She is on the ship for 41 days and has been on before.

The show tonight was Brenda Cochrane, a Scottish singer who can belt out the songs of Connie Francis, Julio Iglesias and other singing legends.

MOVED THE SUITCASES (yeah, I get a gold star!!) and finally have some room to walk around. Now have to tackle the internet center to get the account set up… if you are reading this, you will know I succeeded!

The weather has been rainy, cold, gray and misty all day and I barely noticed. There are so many activities onboard and not enough hours to do it all!

My goal is to certainly try.