Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Formal dinner on Jan 17

Saturday, January 17, 2009
Cloudy and warm as I got up at 8 to swim!! The pool was 34.4 degrees Celsius, about 86 degrees, so it was very warm for laps. I did exercises and some laps and it was nice and quiet out on deck. The sun was peeping through and I sat out on the balcony and wrote postcards and realized how hot it actually was! I was just as wet as if I had just gotten out of the pool…

After a quick breakfast, I went to a few meetings and then to the dance class to learn the “jive”. It was so much fun! The teachers are funny and patient and the Queens Room is full of students so we have enough to fill six lines of people!!! I felt full of energy afterward and had really enjoyed it.
Then up to the Cunard shops and Gene bought me for my birthday a 2009 world cruise t-shirt with the itinerary on the back of the shirt. Supposedly they only sell them today and then a few days before we get off the ship…we’ll see if they hold true to their word. On deck 3, there are shops to fill any need you may have: tuxedo, dresses, shoes, toiletries, books, cards, drinks, candies, jewelery…wonderful choices if you must have it now!

I ran to attend my invitation for an “exclusive” from the hair stylist manager for a seminar on their offerings since I am on for full world cruise. On port days, prices are $45 for wash and blow dry and $70 for a haircut plus there are many spa treatment options. Prices are slightly higher on sea days.

Another computer class at 2:30 on how to edit photos -- and I have decided my goal is to have the slide show created by the time I get home!

Then up to organize the formal dinner in the Todd English restaurant with the place settings, gifts and menus at each seat. We were 25 for dinner and it was very nice, even if I have to say so myself as the host. Ready to drool??? Lobster and baby corn chowder soup, truffled potato love letters as appetizers; then a choice of ricotta gnudi, brown butter lobster or seared yellow fin tuna or grilled beef tenderloin followed by chocolate fallen cake with vanilla ice cream OR mandarin orange crème brulee or selections from the cheese trolley and then finally the coffee/teas and Todd’s homemade cookies and biscotti!! Whew. We had four tables and everyone showed up but one person. I had invited the professional photographer and conversations seemed to flow easily. We all seemed to have a nice time, they liked their gift (an optical paperweight) and we were there past 10PM.

I attended an opera concert by Annette Wardell and she had the string quartet join her on several numbers. She has also sung for the royal family several times.

After attending to several comments from the guests and delivering a birthday card (who is smiling now I wonder??!!), we turned the clocks one hour back and hit the hay!

Panama Canal tomorrow bright and early and we look forward to it!